Saturday, March 2, 2013

Cannonball



Now…it’s finished!!

The container pool house project is a wrap! We had our presentation boards date set and presented our design plans for the project to our instructor and fellow classmates. Everyone was nervous but we all got through it. I learned a great deal about storage containers during this project.

Shipping containers come in a variety of sizes. The most common sizes are 20 foot and 40 foot containers. You can expect to pay anywhere from $1,000 to $3,000 for a 20 foot container and $3,000 to $6,000 for a 40 foot container. There is also the cost of shipping that has to be factored in to your purchase of a container, which depending on where it has to be shipped, could cost quite a bit.

Shipping containers are a green alternative to a traditional build. By choosing to use this method for your project you will have taken something that is just sitting unused on a shipping dock.


This is a picture of my design for my container pool house.

The sofa pictured has storage in the chaise portion and the other part of the sofa pulls out to make a bed.  



 My mission was to utilize  every area of this small space to its full potential while still trying to make sure there was good ventilation to keep the pool house comfortable to be in. The container pool house project scenario was that the pool house was in Mt. Pleasant, SC.




This is a small reading area in my pool house. I had these bookshelves go all the way to the top to use the height of the container to get as much storage for books and other hidden storage that I could.










This is my floor plan for the container pool house along with
my presentation board showing my selections of finishes,
furniture and equipment I chose for the space. I knew I wanted to have sustainable products and features in this pool house. I chose cork flooring, some teak furniture pieces ( you can make sure you get sustainable pieces through the Forest Stewardship Council), and I re-purposed the metal that was removed for the door opening and window openings to construct the metal pergola outside. I also wanted this to be a fun and entertaining space for the family with a modern aesthetic.  I used butter yellow for the walls and put colorful orange and blue furniture pieces in the space. I inserted several skylights in the ceiling of the pool house for ventilation and for sunlight so that little or no electricity could be used to light the space. I am really pleased with how it turned out and I would definitely do this for myself.



If you decide to use a shipping container for your next project just know that you will most likely have to make sure it is sandblasted to remove possible hazardous material residue left over from its previous life as a shipping container. 

Thanks for stopping by my blog today. Have a fabulous day!!





1 comment:

  1. This kind of work makes me happy. It is green in every aspect – from the materials to the structural design. I can see the light coming in where you’ve placed the skylights. And adding such a feature to this project is very smart. Not only can you keep the sunny atmosphere, but you can also create the illusion that it is bigger than its actual size. You certainly outdid the container houses I’ve seen. :D -->Mariam

    ReplyDelete